Bouts of inspiration just come from the most unexpected of circumstances!

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Half-empty or half-full?

If I want to feel really sorry for myself, I'll just have to recite this mantra over and over: "I'm almost bankrupt. My career is going nowhere. At 28, I have nothing to my name and I have no one with me."

But I choose not to. Because being miserable doesn't go well with the humid and unpredictable weather. The more I dwell on the not-so-good things in my life, I attract more of it. It will bog me down and will find myself in much deeper shit that I had thought. It will cause more unwanted wrinkles and blemishes than I can manage. The good stuff might no longer come my way. Who would want that?

I find that it makes me feel energized to start a brand new week if I zone in on recent positive events and looking forward to more good things slated to happen.

1. People trust me with their secrets. For some reason, some of my friends (even those I'm not really close to) willingly spill out their secrets without me having to wring it from them. They seek out my girly advice (read: more guys than girls go to me for consultation, maybe I should start charging hahaha) as if I'm the expert on these things. I do appreciate that they find me trustworthy for it gives me a sense of purpose and responsibility. Like what I always say: "It stops with me." And so far I haven't disappointed them. In the process, I get to learn more about them and the workings of the testosterone-activated mind. Thanks for the laughs and I hope I make sense :)

2. Somebody's taking time out to be with me and do things for me. This is not a common occurence so it's really overwhelming. It's still too early to tell, but I'm vehemently being rational about things. It's good that we're friends and even if I don't look it, everything done for me is very much appreciated. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

3. I have a week to do nothing. Therefore, I have no excuse to start thinking about and working again on my future. Time to dust off my thesis materials and get used to reading boring journals and research once more. Someone I know wrote on his blog that he's writing a children's book. Maybe I should start working on that dream too.

4. I may be almost bankrupt, but I already settled all my bills. There's nothing more liberating than paying off your debts. My bank account may have reached utmost critical level but I'll get my salary in a few days so it's all good. It's really a miracle I can still pay off my insurance premium being just a minimum wage earner. Thank God for my very generous dad who pays my credit card bill.

Life is really what you make it. So, is yours something to smile about?

No comments: