Bouts of inspiration just come from the most unexpected of circumstances!

Sunday, April 20, 2008

(Can't) Keep walking

Flip flops and trainers are the only footwear I regularly use since I started teaching preschool, with a few instances where I wear Crocs shoes and my old sneakers. I hated the day I had to wear stilettos during Jing's wedding, good thing I didn't figure in any kind of accident. The good food made up for that suffering though.

Back to my point. My flat feet are no longer used to anything other than rubber or a flat surface. They cry out in agony when covered, much more when subjected to heights (e.g. heels). There are instances where I need to wear decent shoes and that's what I did when I met up with Agie in Greenbelt.

I wore brown pinstriped pants to go with my supposedly durable (albeit old) Bass dark brown sandals. I was running late, so I was kinda running-walking from MRT to Glorietta. And then I felt something - like something's amiss. I discreetly looked at my soles (lifting my heels of course) and I saw that the right heel was cracked and was about to give way to my weight! The whole left sole cracked in half. WTF?! This is supposed to be Bass! It costs too much to crumble like this! Now can you imagine how I was walking from Glorietta to Greenbelt? Very careful. Good thing my pants were a bit long so only my toes peeked out. And I sighed in relief when we settled in Bubba Gump and all the more when she offered to bring me all the way to the shuttle terminal after dinner. I got home with shoes still intact. Whew! That was close.

I vehemently deny that it cracked because of my weight. I'm not obese! Most likely the material crumbled due to lack of use. Maybe because of the intense heat too? My room is just like a sauna during the summer. Or maybe I didn't keep them in their box. Or maybe they're not as durable as I once thought they were. In any case, it made me feel bad because I really loved that pair, it just wasn't as comfortable as flip flops so I rarely used it nowadays. I hope my Bass boots don't suffer the same fate! :(

No comments: