Bouts of inspiration just come from the most unexpected of circumstances!

Saturday, September 27, 2008

And so it was...

... the Ateneo Blue Eagles won the championship game in UAAP's 71st season last Thursday. How can I not beam with pride for my Alma Mater? It was a much-deserved win, having just lost once this season - and that is according to my 4-year old student Rapa who has learned to recognize two-digit numbers from looking at the scoreboard when he watches the games live (e.g. "62 is bigger than 51 so Ateneo wins!"). And guess what! He knows by heart which player wears which number, and who's the center, forward, guard, etc etc! Wow. I want my son to be just like that :)

OK, back to the game. I was only watching from the treadmills with TV at the gym, taking a peek from time to time while we reviewed the steps with Neil. I didn't really see Maierhoffer and the dirty finger, nor the so-called "biased" referee, nor LaSalle's refusal to receive their trophy and medals. The latter totally turned me off, for it just cements how much of a sore loser they are. Really, it makes me think that LaSalle can't accept that they're not even number one with the only thing they're good at. Hahaha. I can feel angry retorts building up from the green side of the fence :) Just read on first!

It really gets ridiculous how they inculcate the school spirit nowadays. Case in point, lifesize posters of the men's basketball team along the walkway? Are you freaking serious?! Talo pa ang mga anito o di kaya mga santo! School merchandise emblazoned with big green/black/white initials displayed in glass cases near the quadrangle? Sheesh. Pero sige, I haven't been to Ateneo in the last 3 years, for all I know they've set up the same pathetic displays (I hope someone can confirm this). During my time, it has never been blatant, I dunno about now tho. Pero naman, there's so much more beyond basketball! But I have to admit, it makes life really exciting hahaha!

Again, back to the game. Sorry for deviating. I mean, do our children really need to see that kind of behavior? Pardon me, my LaSallian friends, I may have already angered you at this point :) I know a lot of you are achievers beyond the realm of basketball, but it's just sad that the reputation that you worked hard for are tainted by a handful of people who are just too full of themselves. And this makes me so proud to be an Atenean all the more. The Blue Eagles may not have always been this strong a contender in the league, but they've always exhibited admirable sportsmanship through and through. And just like Ate Jen said in her blog, if only they willingly accepted their defeat, they would have still emerged victorious in the eyes of their supporters.

No comments: